Current:Home > MarketsAt least 20 students abducted in a new attack by gunmen targeting schools in northern Nigeria -文件: temp/data/webname/news/nam2.txt
At least 20 students abducted in a new attack by gunmen targeting schools in northern Nigeria
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:13:13
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Gunmen abducted at least 20 students in northwestern Nigeria during an attack early Friday that targeted their school, local media and authorities reported Friday, the latest in a cycle of violence in the country’s troubled northern region.
The students were taken hostage when the gunmen broke into their accommodation near the Federal University Gusau in Zamfara state’s Bungudu district, Zamfara police spokesman Yazid Abubakar said.
Abubakar couldn’t confirm the exact number of abducted students, though local media reported the figure as 24, quoting other students who also said that the kidnap victims were mostly female students.
Abductions of students from schools in northern Nigeria are common and have become a source of concern since 2014 when Islamic extremists kidnapped over 200 schoolgirls in Borno state. The frequency of the attacks though has reduced over the last year and Friday’s incident presents a new challenge to Nigerian President Bola Tinubu who only took office in May.
The assailants in the latest incident arrived in large numbers after earlier confronting the security personnel in the area, residents said, highlighting once again the inadequate security presence in remote communities across Nigeria.
“The security forces, previously alerted to the situation, engaged the terrorists who subsequently retreated into the bush. (But) the terrorists later returned to the community to carry out the abductions,” said Abdullahi Ilela, a resident of the community.
No group has claimed responsibility for the latest attack though the blame quickly fell on the bandit groups that have been targeting remote communities across Nigeria’s northwest and central regions. Authorities say the groups are mostly made up of young pastoralists from Nigeria’s Fulani tribe caught up in a decades-long conflict between host communities and herdsmen over limited access to water and land.
Abubakar, the police spokesman, said a manhunt has been launched to arrest the attackers.
“A combined search and rescue team made up of the police, the army and the air force have embarked on the search and rescue,” he said.
veryGood! (49948)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Key Senate race in Arizona could hinge on voters who back Trump and the Democratic candidate
- Attorneys for NYC Mayor Eric Adams seek dismissal of bribery charge brought by ‘zealous prosecutors’
- 'I will never forgive you for this': Whole Foods' Berry Chantilly cake recipe has changed
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Vance criticized an infrastructure law as a candidate then embraced it as a senator
- Jussie Smollett says he has 'to move forward' after alleged hate crime hoax
- Kailyn Lowry Shares Why She Just Developed a Strategy for Dealing With Internet Trolls
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 'Shazam!' star Zachary Levi endorses Donald Trump while moderating event with RFK Jr.
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Hailey Bieber Debuts Hair Transformation One Month After Welcoming First Baby With Justin Bieber
- Handing out MLB's 2024 awards: Shohei Ohtani, Aaron Judge earn MVPs for all-time seasons
- Mega Millions winning numbers for September 27 drawing; jackpot at $93 million
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 3 easy mistakes can be deadly after a hurricane: What to know
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Smooches
- The Daily Money: Card declined? It could be a scam
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
California governor vetoes bill to create first-in-nation AI safety measures
Death of Stanford goalie Katie Meyer in 2022 leads to new law in California
Raheem Morris downplays Kyle Pitts' zero-catch game: 'Stats are for losers'
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Mega Millions winning numbers for September 27 drawing; jackpot at $93 million
Phillies become the hunted in MLB playoffs as NL East champs: 'We're ready for it'
College Football Misery Index: Ole Miss falls flat despite spending big